Space Greenhouse Scientist
Greenhouse Design, Crop Production, Wastewater Treatment Systems, Phytodepuration, Nutrient Recovery, Start-up, Cleantech, Bioregenerative Life Support Systems, BLSS.
At ESTEE, researchers are working on synergies between Bioregenerative Life Support Systems (BLSS) developed for human space exploration and associated Earth-based applications, focusing on the development of innovative products that make efficient BLSS globally available.
The main objective of the project is to optimize and monitor an artificial environment for crop production relying on recycling of waste to produce oxygen, water and food utilizing a combination of waste processing compartments.
A second objective is to monitor a phytodepuration system used both for wastewater treatment and crop production.
Earth Space Technical Ecosystem Enterprises SA (ESTEE SA) is a young Swiss company based in Lausanne, Switzerland. ESTEE SA is developing systems that combine emerging cleantech and biotechnology and operate in closed-loop manner. Associated applications of such systems include food production and wastewater treatment.
Prototyping, testing and operations are conducted in a facility located in the north-western part of Lausanne, with the company headquarters located in downtown Lausanne. The internship will be located in Bussigny. This project will allow you to join a highly-dedicated and passionate team and work in a start-up environment at the boundary between research and product development.
Please get in touch with us to learn more about this project!
The Space Greenhouse internship project objectives are as follows:
- To actively participate in the monitoring and optimization of a greenhouse for crop production and a phytodepuration unit;
- To generate optimum test lines of crop cultivars on different growth media and environments;
- To characterize plant response(s) to deficiency/toxicity symptoms due to exposure to macro/microelements or pollutants;
- To characterize the efficiency of the phytodepuration unit and to contribute to its efficiency and design improvements;
- To work on hydroponic culture systems with different types of nutrient solution compositions and design an optimal growth medium for plant production operating in terrestrial or extraterrestrial environments with confined space and resources;
- To monitor plant pathology and mineral deficiency symptoms, and to screen root nutrient uptake, nutrient dynamics, mineral interactions in plant-soil-hydroponic systems under controlled conditions.
- Candidates should have a background in agriculture, agronomy, biology and/or chemistry;
- Good knowledge and practice on the typical growth systems and concepts;
- Experience in monitoring plant responses to various conditions;
- Analytical laboratory skills;
- Literature review capacity;
- Autonomy and self-organization skills;
- Good reporting abilities.
Internship duration: 3 to 6 months (preferred: 6 months)
Percentage attendance at work: 80-100%
Starting date of the contract: 15.02.2019 (with some flexibility)
Salary: To be discussed
Application deadline: 15.01.2019
Vincent LE DAHERON – firstname.lastname@example.org