Space Greenhouse Design
At ESTEE, researchers are working on synergies between Bioregenerative Life Support Systems (BLSS) developed for human space exploration and associated Earth-based applications, focusing on the development of innovative products that make efficient BLSS globally available. Developing an optimized and satisfying self-sustainable living space in a limited source is one of main targets in the project. The main objective of the project is to design and engineer an artificial environment for crop production allowing ideally 100% of recycling of waste to produce oxygen, water and food utilizing a combination of waste processing compartments.
Earth Space Technical Ecosystem Enterprises SA (ESTEE SA) is a young Swiss company based in Lausanne, Switzerland. ESTEE SA is developing systems that combine emerging cleantech and biotechnology and operates in closed loop. Associated applications of such systems include food production and wastewater treatment.
Prototyping, testing and operations are conducted in a facility located in the north-western part of Lausanne, with the company headquarters located in downtown Lausanne. The internship will be located in Bussigny.
This project will allow you to join a highly-dedicated and passionate team and work in a start-up environment at the boundary between research and product development.
Please get in touch with us to learn more about this project!
The Space Greenhouse Design internship project objectives are as follows:
- To perform a state-of-the-art analysis of existing space architectural and modular solutions for crop production in confined space, solutions that integrate complex equipment to reduce the operation time.
- To assess the identified space greenhouse designs and concepts, define possible and adapted technical solutions, and propose the best options for the different scenarios.
- To identify the best suppliers/partners and order relevant equipment to be used for prototyping.
- To actively participate to design and prototype a greenhouse for crop production, and to optimize its organization an autonomy within a closed loop system.
- Literature review capacities
- Good writing and oral expression skills to manage discussions with suppliers
- 3D modelling and design skills (SolidWorks knowledge is required)
- Autonomy and self-organization skills
- Good reporting abilities
- Adaptation skills to work across disciplines
- Previous experience in space architecture and/or related technologies (is a plus)
- Candidates should preferably hold a degree in Mechanical or Mechatronic engineering
Internship duration 3-6 months (preferred: 6 months)
Percentage attendance at work 80-100%
Starting date of the contractual relationship 15.01.2018 (with some flexibility)
Proposed salary To be discussed
Application closing date 30.11.2017
To apply please send your CV with a cover letter to email@example.com.